Icebox Butter Cookies
Bake 8 minutes for a soft and chewy cookie or up to 12 minutes for a crisp cookie.
Southern Living AUGUST 2012
- Yield: Makes 8 to 10 dozen
- Hands-on:20 Minutes
- Total:9 Hours, 45 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Parchment paper
1. Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
2. Stir together flour and next 2 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended after each addition.
3. Shape dough into 4 logs (about 2 inches in diameter); wrap each log in plastic wrap. Chill 8 hours to 3 days.
4. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each log into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 8 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets to wire racks, and cool completely (about 20 minutes).
Try These Stir-ins!
Lime-Coconut: Stir in 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, 1 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts, and 2 Tbsp. lime zest after adding flour mixture.
Chocolate Confetti: Stir in 1 cup chopped honey-roasted peanuts and 1 (4-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bar, finely chopped, after adding flour mixture.
Rosemary-Berry: Stir in 1 cup finely chopped sweetened dried cranberries, 2 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary, and 2 Tbsp. orange zest after adding flour mixture.
Spiced Sweet Tea: Add 3 Tbsp. unsweetened instant tea mix, 2 Tbsp. orange zest, 1 Tbsp. lemon zest, and 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice with first 4 ingredients. Roll logs in Demerara sugar before chilling.
Praline Pecan: Stir in 1 1/2 cups roasted glazed pecan pieces after adding flour mixture.
Java Chip: Add 3 Tbsp. instant coffee granules with first 4 ingredients; stir in 4 (1.4-oz.) chocolate-covered toffee candy bars, finely chopped, after adding flour mixture.
Lemon-Basil: Add 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil, 2 Tbsp. lemon zest, and 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds with first 4 ingredients.